A movie about shady land deals and stormy bodybuilding competitions in 1970s Birmingham, Alabama, Bob Rafelson’s Stay Hungry has such an eclectic cast, such strange tonal shifts and such general oddness of all sorts that it never found the audience it deserved. It’s by no means a perfect movie but still one that should be seen, if only for its audacity to team Jeff Bridges, Sally Field, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Robert Englund and Fannie Flagg.
Craig Blake (Bridges) is a well-born, sad-faced Southern gent who’s been in mourning for two years, since the accidental death of his parents. Searching for something to occupy his time, he gets roped into a dubious land-acquisition scheme in which some good ol’ boys are buying up local businesses and fleecing the mom-and-pop owners. Blake is charged with purchasing for peanuts a dingy gym, but his mission becomes complicated when he falls for one of the establishment’s fetching employees (Field) and befriends a hulking bodybuilder (Schwarzenegger) who’s training there. These two and others at the gym become an unlikely surrogate family for Blake, and he introduces them into his gentile and snobbish society at some risk.
Stay Hungry is teeming with talent, even if it doesn’t always know what to do with it, sometimes clumsily mixing comic scenes with disturbing ones. But at its essence, it’s a gentle if eccentric story of a wounded man slowly realizing that he needs to move beyond his comfortable milieu if he’s to find the things he needs to live. In addition to that, there’s Robert Englund as an exercise instructor and Arnold Schwarzenegger dressed in cowboy garb playing a fiddle. (Available from Netflix and other outlets.)
More Film Posts:
- Classic DVD: Westworld. (1973)
- Classic DVD: Slacker. (1991)
- Strange, Small & Forgotten Films: Decasia: The State of Decay. (2002)
- Classic DVD: 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould. (1993)
- Classic DVD: Pickpocket. (1959)
- Strange, Small & Forgotten Films: Gates of Heaven. (1978)
- Classic DVD: Alice Doesn’t Live Here Anymore. (1974)
- Classic DVD: Playtime. (1967)
- Strange, Small & Forgotten Films: Last Night. (1998)
- Classic DVD: The Gleaners and I. (2000)
- Classic DVD: Sherman’s March. (1986)
- Strange, Small & Forgotten Films: The Bothersome Man. (2004)
- Classic DVD: Picnic at Hanging Rock. (1975)
- Classic DVD: Thieves Like Us. (1974)
- Classic DVD: Brief Encounter. (1945)
- Strange, Small & Forgotten Films: Police Beat. (2004)
- Classic DVD: The Killing. (1956)
- Strange, Small & Forgotten Films: Confessions of a Superhero. (2004)
- New DVD: The Exploding Girl.
- Strange, Small & Forgotten Films: Hi, Mom! (1970)
- Strange, Small & Forgotten Films: Targets. (1968)
- Classic DVD: Logan’s Run. (1976)
- Strange, Small & Forgotten Films: The Silent Partner. (1978)
- Classic DVD: Head. (1968)
- New DVD: Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans.
- Classic DVD: The Phantom of Liberty. (1974)
- New DVD: Big Man Japan.
- Strange, Small & Forgotten Films: All the Vermeers in New York. (1989)
- Classic DVD: The Other. (1972)
- Strange, Small & Forgotten Films: “La Soufriere.” (1976)
- Classic DVD: Network. (1976)